By Peter L. King
The Product Wheel (PW) layout method has useful tools for locating the optimal series, minimizing changeover charges, and liberating up worthwhile skill. loads so, that the DuPont™ corporation and Exxon Mobil are only a number of businesses that experience used the product wheel proposal to accomplish and maintain a aggressive advantage.
Breaking down a pretty advanced layout method into attainable steps, The Product Wheel instruction manual: growing Balanced move in High-Mix method Operations walks readers in the course of the technique for designing and imposing the PW method. It encompasses a case learn taken from real perform that illustrates the layout method and its advantages. Describing tips on how to observe the product wheel strategy to any production operation, the book:
- Details the stairs required to enforce product wheels
- Explains why yes conventional production metrics might be reevaluated so that they don’t inhibit product wheel performance
- Defines the cultural starting place worthwhile for tender product wheel layout and implementation
- Includes a real-world case research and a number of other examples of product wheels getting used by way of profitable production companies―including BG items, Inc., the DuPont™ corporation, the Dow Chemical corporation, and Appleton
Many of the stairs in wheel layout defined during this ebook will not be new. What’s new is their program to creation making plans and scheduling difficulties, and extra importantly, a transparent roadmap explaining how and once they may be utilized in product wheel design.
Supplying you with the instruments to minimize the chaos usually present in creation scheduling, the e-book outlines a disciplined constitution that may let you spend much less of a while resolving time table difficulties. most significantly, it offers your company with a solid platform to accommodate irregular occasions in a much less annoying and extra logical manner.
Read or Download The Product Wheel Handbook : Creating Balanced Flow in High-Mix Process Operations PDF
Best quality control & management books
This paintings brings jointly one of the most modern examine within the program of operations study and mathematical modeling thoughts to provide chain administration difficulties. The book's chapters position a heavy emphasis at the program of modeling ideas to actual international administration difficulties. each one bankruptcy is a self-contained examine of a well timed and correct study challenge in offer chain administration.
Dieses Buch behandelt Konzepte beim Entwurf von Produktionssystemen und Produkten. Sie helfen schwierige Aufgabenstellungen zu operationalisieren, indem zur Erfüllung der Gesamtaufgabe Einzelaufgaben formuliert wurden, für die Lösungen gefunden werden können. Ordnungsschemata werden angegeben, mit denen die Komposition des Ganzen in den Auswirkungen überschaubar und bewertbar bleibt.
Within wisdom: Rediscovering the resource of functionality development weaves a suspenseful story of the way numerous staff operating within the fictional Grand Bay corporation become aware of how one can leverage their wisdom to significantly enhance functionality. wisdom is frequently the main trustworthy resources of sustainable aggressive virtue for firms, but, before, it's been very tough to translate worker wisdom into functionality advancements.
Northern Pipe items is at the present time experiencing unheard of efficiencies, worker involvement, a colourful and wanted education application, list output per-man hour, and lowest total waste in corporation background. What it did and realized over the last 5 years is the tale of this ebook. The technology of Self-Directed paintings groups is living within the cognizance that opportunity and stewardship are diversified facets of a similar coin.
- Creating a Total Rewards Strategy: A Toolkit for Designing Business-Based Plans
- Six Sigma Demystified: A Self-Teaching Guide
- A Primer on the Taguchi Method
- Lean Systems: Applications and Case Studies in Manufacturing, Service, and Healthcare
- Statistical Methods for SPC and TQM
- VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center
Extra resources for The Product Wheel Handbook : Creating Balanced Flow in High-Mix Process Operations
None of this will work very well unless the wheel design, schedule, and all operating parameters are incorporated into the plant enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, so this is a critical step. These steps complete the product wheel design. Once they’re done, it’s time to focus on implementation. Product Wheel Implementation Step 13: Develop an implementation plan. A good design won’t actually make anything happen. There are a number of tasks required for successful implementation, and they must be planned, scheduled, and staffed.
7) shows that we can get real-time data on customer orders and on inventory status from the database used by the customer service representatives (CSRs). Demand history and forecasts for each specific product should be available from the database used for the sales and operations planning (S&OP) process. 6 Inventory data boxes. 7 Information flow portion of the VSM. Calendaring Bonding (4) Schedule Updates (Daily) Master Production Schedule (Monthly) Sales & Operations Planning Aggregated Demand (Monthly) Chopping (3) 5 Customer Service Reps Orders Material Releases Wrapping Packaging Labeling 4 Current Inventories Customer Forecasts (Quarterly) Order Grants Quantity/time 230M Sq Ft/Mo TAKT 320K Sq Ft/Hr Leadtime Exp 7 Days Customers, Distributors Material Flow Frequency 12 Trucks/Day Lot Size 648K Sq Ft Transp time 3 Days Information Flow 34 ◾ The Product Wheel Handbook: Creating Balanced Flow in High-Mix Process Operations Step 1: Begin with an Up-to-Date, Reasonably Accurate VSM ◾ 35 the intermediate inventories are so high.
2, you may decide that several low-volume products will be made every fourth cycle, rather than every third. 1 and recalculate the shortest possible wheel time, which will now be shorter, with some products removed from each cycle. Or if you’ve planned for a relatively short wheel, you may learn that the QC lab can’t handle the increased volume of testing required by the more frequent changeovers, forcing a loop-back to steps 5 and 6 to increase the wheel time. The amount of looping back will generally be reduced by including all relevant perspectives in the design from the start.